Genetic Diversity of Ochratoxigenic Aspergillus Section Nigri, Using RAPD And VCG Techniques
No Thumbnail Available
AFRICAN JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL MICROBIOLOGY
This study evaluates the genetic diversity of ochratoxigenic Aspergillus section Nigri using RAPD and VCG techniques. Results obtained revealed OPX 07 as the most informative of the tested RAPD markers generating 12 polymorphic bands while the least bands were generated by OPR 19. Of the 40 Aspergillus section Nigri (20 each of Aspergillus niger and Aspergillus carbonarius), 22 VCGs and 27 RAPD haplotypes were delineated. The two techniques demonstrated similar resolution except in few cases where the RAPD technique further sub divided some VCGs into simpler haplotypes. The average percentage of variable VCG and RAPD reactions were 25 and 50% in that order of sequence while 75 and 50% of the isolates were resolved as same isolates by these techniques respectively. It was also found that the Simpson index of genetic diversity approached one for the isolates from the four geopolitical zones of Ogun State, Nigeria with the mean genetic diversity within isolates (GL) contributing significantly approximately 89% of the total diversity observed within the isolates (F=22.23, p<0.05). The remaining 11% of variation could only be allotted to diversity among isolates (GS). On the whole, the total genetic diversity (HT) was found to be approximately 48%. In conclusion, RAPD markers provided better resolution than the classical VCG typing technique.
Genetic Diversity, Ochratoxigenic Aspergillus, RAPD and VCG
Thomas, B.T., Ogunkanmi, L.A., Iwalokun, B.A., & Popoola, O.D. (2017a) Genetic Diversity of Ochratoxigenic Aspergillus Section Nigri, Using RAPD And VCG Techniques African Journal of Clinical And Experimental Microbiology 18 (4): 205-209