Browsing Theses and Dissertations by Issue Date
Now showing 1 - 20 of 856
Results Per Page
- ItemOpen AccessThe Legal Regime of International Rivers in Africa(University of Lagos, 1971) Idris, Tajudeen OlawaleThe economic and political environment of international rivers.
- ItemOpen AccessGeneralized Numerical Solution of Mixed Systems of Elliptic and Hyperbolic Partial Differential Equations(University of Lagos, 1972) Ekogbulu, Festus OluwayimikaResearch work principally of Von Neumann; Richard Courant et. al established firmly the use of finite -difference techniques for the solution of linear partial differential equations
- ItemOpen AccessVertical Vibration of Rigid Bodies with Rectangular Bases on Elastic Media(University of Lagos, 1973-05) Tabiowo, Haboghene PeterThe vibration of rigid bodies with finite rectangular bases of semi-infinite elastic media presents difficult analytical problems which have hitherto not been resolves. The mixed boundary-value problem is completely formulated for the first time, in terms of a pair of ''Dual Double Integrated Equations'', both for the static case which has a formidable theoretical solution and for the dynamic case where more complication is added to an already complex problem.
- ItemOpen AccessSeismic Vibration Due to Detonation in Oil Exploration(University of Lagos, 1973-12) Olusesan, Ayodeji SobayoThe present work is concerned with a fundamental social problem which arises on account of the continual detonation of explosive charges during oil exploration.
- ItemOpen AccessA Critical Study of Yoruba Written Poetry(University of Lagos, 1974) Olabimtan, Emanuel AfolabiThis work is an analytical exposition of Yoruba poetry written in the period 1848 - 1948. The thesis is in three parts. The first part is made up of Chapter one, two and three, deals with preliminaries. In the first Chapter, there is a discussion of those factors, outside Yoruba culture, which were contributory to the emergence and growth of Yoruba written poetry. The second Chapter gives an overview of the poetry under study, showing that it falls within three distinct periods and four main types with regard to aims and objectives. Chapter Three gives a biography of each of the poet concerned.
- ItemOpen AccessSome Problems in Inhomogeneous Viscous Flow(University of Lagos, 1974) Adeboye, Enoch AdejareThis thesis serves a dual purpose. First, a method is presented which simplifies the integration of the governing steady stage equations of an incomprehensible viscous fluid with vanishing body and inertia forces. The method takes advantage of potential theory to reduce any fluid problem to that of differential operators acting upon harmonic functions. This is in contrast to the conventional stream-function approach which employs a fourth-order partial differential equation. By this approach, the formulation for singularities in the interior of one of two immiscible fluids becomes straight forward.
- ItemOpen AccessThe Coastal Zone of Lagos in Relation to land Resource Development: A study in Applied Geomorphology(University of Lagos, 1975-06) Adegboye, AkinseindeThis thesis is written in two parts. part one examines the environmental setting and the theoretical background to the evolution of the landforms in the coastal zones of Lagos, as well as characteristics of the geomorphological problems in the area. Part two which covers Chapters four to eight examines the techniques used in the study of land resource development in the coastal zone and elucidate the manner in which the data were collected and the use of the data for land classification. Finally, an appraisal of the significance of demorphology to physical planning in general is made.
- ItemOpen AccessThe Upgradeing of Privy Methods of Sewage Disposal by the Biodisc Process(University of Lagos, 1976-10) Aluko, Tomothy MofolorunsoThis thesis describes studies carried out on the septic tank and the nightsoil conservancy system , the two most widely used methods of sewage disposal in Lagos and other parts of Nigeria.
- ItemOpen AccessA Study of Box Girder Behaviour based on Extension and Bending Plate Theories.(University of Lagos, 1976-11) Somolu, O. A.The thesis deals with the study of box girder behaviour under load and examines the deplexion and membrane stresses which arise as a consequence of loading. An extensive survey of the existing methods of analyses is carried out and two of them are outlined. A composite concrete-steel box was used for the laboratory investigation.
- ItemOpen AccessHigh-Level manpower Development: An Assessment of the Growth and Academic performance of Nigerian Universities(University of Lagos, 1977-05) Ojo, E. FolayanIn an ardent attempt to put their natural resources into better use, develop and developing countries have given a very high priority to the planning and development of high-level manpower since the end of World War II. The university, being the capstone of any country's educational system and the main supplier of graduates and allied high-level manpower, undoubtedly assumes a strategic position in any serious endeavour to development highly skilled personnel.
- ItemOpen AccessThe Obolo (Andoni) of the Eastern Niger Delta(University of Lagos, 1977-06) Nkparom, C. EjituwuThis work traces the Obolo from earliest beginnings to 1931 when they were effectively brought under the British Colonial administration. It shows that they may have been living in the Niger Delta for some 700 years. Here, they came in contact and entered into various historical relations with the Ijo, Ibibio, Ogoni and the Nkodi.
- ItemOpen AccessMicrobiological Studies of Shrimp Spoilage(University of Lagos, 1979) Aribisala, O. A.bacterial counts of samples of freshly caught shrimps, Penaeus duorarum and ofm sea water from Nigeria, were carrioed out for a period ofm ten months, from April 1975 to january 1976. A monthly variation in the size of the bacterial populations of shrimps and sea water was observed.
- ItemOpen AccessSome Issues and Policies in the Reform and Education of Juvenile Delinquent in the Lagos Area from 1876 to 1979.(University of Lagos, 1979-10) Fagbongbe, Emanuel OladosuThe study describes the historical development and functioning of three reformatory schools established at varying times in the Lagos area between 1876 and 1979 to reform and educate juvenile delinquents.
- ItemOpen AccessThe Spatial Structure of Benin City(University of Lagos, 1979-10) Omokhodion, AAn investigation into the models of urban spatial structure reveals that there is hardly any single accepted comprehensive model that could be applicable to all cities. A model of behavioural ecology has been suggested in the study. The model conceives of the city as a two-part interrelated phenomena made up of urban process (behavioual) and urban results (ecology). Urban process explain and predict regularities and causes of irregularities in human urban behaviours in time and space while urban results describe and explain urban ecological settings at a time intervals.
- ItemOpen AccessAn Investigation into Nigerian Guidance Counsellors' Professional Value Commitments in Guidance and Counselling with Particular Reference to Two States of Nigeria: Lagos State and Cross-River State.(1980) Arene, Violet NwakaegoGuidance and Counselling is usually designed to achieve certain ends for a particular society. It is therefore practiced with a frame work of values and goals. Guidance and counselling cannot therefore successfully be practised in the Nigerian setting without a synthesis of the values and ultimate goals of its services. The major problem tackled by the present study is what Guidance and Counsellors' value commitments are in the Nigerian setting where Guidance and Counselling has been witnessing stalling development. An investigation such as this, of Guidance Counsellors' value commitments will help to ensure that the demands and needs of the Nigerian setting and the expectations of Guidance and Counselling consumers are being satisfied. It will also help to direct the development of the Guidance and Counselling services successfully.
- ItemOpen AccessRegister in Oral Discourse: A Contrastive Study in First and Second - Language Situations(University of Lagos, 1980) Osisanya, Dorcas . Oluwale.In first-language and second-language acquisition, the training of oracy skills before literacy skills ensures a natural, efficient learning process. The development of oracy skills should embrace the formal and informal Varieties of English. The present study attempts to identify clusters of stylistic features of Register in Oral Discourse by native-English students on the one hand and second- language speakers of English on the other hand. It discovers that native-English students in small group discourse acts use features of informal, casuals, familiar, personal conversation such as: casuals beginnings, repetitions, dialoguing with interruptions and turn- interchange, a higher frequency of intimacy signals, contracted forms of model auxiliaries, verbs-to-be, pre-packaged forms of agreement, verbal fillers, phrasal verbs and active voice of verbs.
- ItemOpen AccessAn Investigation of N-Complexes from Disubstituted Acetylenes and Copper (I) Compounds.(University of Lagos, 1980) Ukwueze, Albert Chukwuemeka1-bromo-3methylbut-1-yn-3-ol, 1-bromo-3-methylpent-1-yn-3-ol, 4-hydroxy-4-methylhex-2-tn-nitrile, 1-chloro-3-methylpent-1-yn-3-ol, 4-methyl-2, 3-dienenitrile and 4-methjolxy-2-yn were separately prepared and then, each of them was used as the disubstituted acetylene for complexation with copper (I), cyanide, copper (I) bromide, and copper (i) chloride respectively in dimethyl formide (d.m.f) and then in dimethyl sulphoxide (d.m.s.o) as the solvent in each case.
- ItemOpen AccessThe Relationship Between Teacher Characteristics and Student Academic Achievement in Selected Secondary Schools in the Lagos Metropolis.(University of Lagos, 1980) Ikpeazu-Bello, Pat. NkemThe purpose of the present investigation was to examine the relationship between teachers' characteristics and students' academic achievements. The study was justifiable both from a theoretical and policy implication point of view.
- ItemOpen AccessDesign of Digital Filters Using Incremental Changes in Processing(University of Lagos, 1980) Falaki, Samuel. Oluwole.Procedures are developed for designing high-speed, modular digital filters. The techniques presented here are based on the use of differences in the data signal in processing. The use of one-bit word, and the use of mapping of differentials in processing to produce a multiplication free, fast, and modular structured digital filters is considered in details in this thesis.
- ItemOpen AccessSocial Studies Offerings by the Advanced Teachers Colleges of Nigeria: A Study of Innovation and Diffusion in Education(University of Lagos, 1980) Oladebo, Olawole OmotayoIn both the United States of America, Social Studies emerge towards the turn of the century in response to the problems created by industrialisation. Faced with similar prospects, Nigeria introduction Social Studies into the curricula of her educational institutions in the early 1970s. Up till now, however, the objectives, content and methods of the subject have not been clearly defined in the Nigerian context, and the extent its diffusion down the educational system not assessed.